Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hurricane Ike

It all started on Friday September 12, 2008 at around 11 pm. I was watching the news with my mom at the apartment when the storm slowly began to creep in on the Houston Texas area. It started of quite and then gradually became a monster. Everything was fine in the beginning. There were loud noises and tons of rain. Around 1 am on Saturday the storm was right over the Houston area. My mom opened the door to try and look outside I told her to close the door and right when she did a shindle from the roof was carried by the wind and slammed into the door. An hour later we were sitting in the living room watching tv and right when i said : man at least we still have power" the lights went out. I screamed of terror because for one I absolutely hate the dark and for another thing it had all happened so quickly. My mom and i lit some candles and listened to our battery powered radio while trying to not let the storm terrify me. Around 2:30 am we couldn't stand staying in the bedroom because shindles were hitting the carport roof so loud it sounded like they were bricks. We decided to move to the living room and we were fine sitting in there for a while when all of a sudden we started hearing things/ objects hitting the glass window. My mom and i both decided we should just go in the bathroom until the storm was over with. We spent about half an hour sitting in the bathroom listening to people call in and talk about their experience during the storm. Finally we decided to go back to the bedroom to try to get some sleep. I fell alseep texting my friends and family by the time i woke up atound 7:25 am on Saturday we had power back and their was daylight outside even though it was still raining. I went to tell my mom but she was outside so I decided to go out and when I walked outside I couldn't believe what I'd seen. It looked like a tornado had hit the tree across from my unit, there were roof shindles all over the place on the ground everywhwere, there were tree branches blown all the way to the other side of the complex courtyard, and the unit i was staying in and two other apartment units had power but the other four didn't. Due to a tranformer that had popped which knocked out the 4 units power and only three units had power because the fire station right next to the complex. I lost water for a day but it came back that sunday night. I am so thankful to have power and water. I can't get over how bad this hurricane was and how it affected not only me but everyone in the state of Texas. I would not like to experience this again but that's what we get for choosing to live in Texas. We have to learn to deal with hurricanes, and tornados. But in the end of it all I'm willing to put up with it.

No comments: